Hi everyone, thanks for visiting my blog! You can purchase my work on Etsy, Ebay, or from my website. All images and designs on this blog are copyright by their creators. Be respectful, don't steal.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Display Case Tutorial Part 2

Okay, next part... I made a ball of clay. Small, maybe 3/4" x 3/4".

Then I flattened it with my fingers. Not too much, it's still pretty chunky.

Then I took a needle and made more random indents all around it. These are deeper than the ones before. I had to rock the needle so it would move with the curve of the clay.

Then I flattened it a little more, just a tiny bit though.

Then I centered my previous piece on it.

And pushed it down, further flattening the disk thing and embedding the long piece into the disk.

Then I took my circle stencil thing and found a circle slightly larger than the disk.

And I rolled out some clay in my pasta machine and cut the circle out with my exacto knife.

I then put some TLS on the circle and placed my other piece on top, centered. I used TLS this time since I wouldn't be pushing down a lot to really get the two pieces to stick. If I pushed down to much it would distort the circle.

I added some clay to the top and shaped it with my hands. Then I used my needle and made two decorative lines on the new addition. I lightly wire-brushed the bottom disk thing to add some texture there.

Then I popped the whole thing in the oven.

Bottom piece is done for now. Moving on to another post....

4 comments:

  1. I need one of those circle things! How great a way to get a good circle, do you just use it for an imprint Lorraine then cut it out?xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I didn't make an imprint at all. Just lay the stencil over the clay and then use the exacto knife like a pencil. Use the stencil to guide the knife as you cut the clay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Otro paso perfecto explicado. La plantilla ayuda si la usas bien :))
    Besos Clara

    ReplyDelete